A sector Landscape is a document that presents a summarized view of the sector with a 5-line summary description of each segment.
How to create a Venture Landscape Report?
- First, collate your Research
- Download funding report1 for that industry.
- Download mind-map or industry classifiers2 to check how companies are classified.
- Download sectoral reports related to that sector3.
- Check start-ups research sites4 for new and upcoming ventures.
- Second, turn the insights from that research into a Landscape
- List Use Cases: Specific ideas/propositions that are being marketed [Eg: Trip Management for Fleet Owners | Lending for Consumer Durable]
- Divide by Functions: Businesses that are specific to a function [e.g. Marketing Automation for Marketeers, Analytics for Supply Chain]
- Segment by Audience: Ideas targeted at specific audiences [For Students (Education Loans), Luxury product for HNIs, only for women and so on]
- Lifecycle/Stage: Businesses that are focused on a specific stage of the business lifecycle [e.g CRM for Lead Generation, Reporting Tool, Data Preparation product]
1Tracxn | Crunchbase | Paper.VC | Pitchbook
2Gartner’s Magic Quadrant | CB Insights | Venturescanner
3IBEF, CRISIL, Brokerage Houses, consultancy firms such as BCG, McKinsey, PwC, industry bodies such as NASSCOM, or trade publications
4Angel.co | F6S | Product Hunt