In future, we may add to this list positions like a Chief Design Officer, a Chief Technology Officer, a Chief Investment Officer or a Chief Strategy Officer.
CXOs at the Prototyze layer fulfill these needs of a venture:
- ‘Booster’ Experts: Prototyze CXOs provide burst capacity and expert capability. Examples? Preparing a go-to-market strategy, creating an Annual Operating Plan, working on the Venture Blueprint, helping refine pitches for potential investors…Prototyze CXOs also help-out in areas which may not be anyone’s direct responsibility.
- Institutional Memory of Problems and Solutions: By virtue of being involved in multiple ventures, the Prototyze CXOs have an institutional memory of infrequent problems and their solutions. Problems that would flummox a venture leader who has encountered it for the first time.
- Oversight and Action: Through quarterly reviews, monthly meetings and weekly calls, CXOs lead a systematic mechanism for oversight and alerts. And a process to implement action for issues which fall between the grates of venture leadership.
- Best Practices: Due to their bird’s eye view of multiple ventures (past, present and future) Prototyze CXOs are the spearhead of taking best practices learnt from one venture, and implementing it into all the ventures. Whether it’s the process of doing and reporting a competitive review, or agile technology development tools or best practices in digital marketing.
- Temporary Leadership: If there’s an unexpected departure of a key leader at a venture, then Prototyze CXOs can temporarily step into that role ensuring that the venture is not missing a wheel.
- Primary Confidants: Often there are crises which due to their black swan nature, cannot be addressed by the venture leadership alone. Venture leaders find that Prototyze CXOs are friends and confidants with whom they can do an ‘open-kimono’. And still expect to be helped, not judged and condemned.
- Ambassadors of Culture: Prototyze CXOs have a responsibility to reinforce the culture of the organization across all ventures, nascent as well as established.
- Continuity: Our ventures often have common clients, investors or partners. The leadership of Prototyze represents continuity of engagement for employees, investors and partners.